Luna Moths

If you have seen a luna moth recently in Headwaters please let us know.

June 8, 2011 | | Blogs

There is, in the pantheon of remarkable native animals, an insect whose beauty is so arresting that once seen it is never forgotten. This is the luna moth. Its gossamer wings are green with pink edging. It appears cut from the template of a master fashion designer.

Sadly, this lovely moth may no longer inhabit the Headwaters. Though formerly common, I am not aware of any recent sightings.

At this time of year luna moths emerge from tightly spun cocoons and dry their wings to prepare for flight. Time is of the essence. They have only a week or two to live. Finding a mate is their sole objective.

Luna moths are aptly named, for they use the moon to help guide their nocturnal travels. Pity then the moths that find themselves orbiting the false moons of our driveways and porches. Artificial lights capture them and hold them in thrall until, tattered and confused, they simply die.

The retreat of the luna is probably due to other factors as well. Parasitic flies introduced in an effort to control gypsy moths have almost certainly taken a toll.

Like the voracious cane toads introduced to Australia to control insect pests, these flies have amply demonstrated that they enjoy variety in their diet. They do feed on gypsy moth caterpillars, but find the caterpillars of our native moths equally appetizing.

A species of bird declining as dramatically as the luna moth would become the focus of concern — and rightly so. Research would be conducted, papers would be written, recovery strategies proposed.

The decline of the beautiful luna, though, seems to have evoked nary a whisper.

If you have seen a luna moth recently please please comment below. It would be wonderful to discover that some do still inhabit this area.

lunaMoth02 LunaMothJennifer BowmanIMG_20150703_004542 lunaMothwithFriend LunaMothSusieJune2017 lunaMoth03 LunaMothSusieJune20172 lunaMoth01
The Luna is still there, and this time the lower spots are showing.

About the Author More by Don Scallen

Don Scallen enjoys sharing his love of nature through his writing and presentations. Check out his blog "Notes from the Wild".

Related Stories

Black swallowtail

Butterflies

Jul 8, 2015 | Don Scallen | Blogs

Butterflies are some of the most beautiful and interesting creatures on earth and can be easily attracted to your garden.

Comments

15 Comments

1. There was one at the Alton Mill this past weekend! Absolutely amazing!

Bridget Wilson from The Alton Mill on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Reply

• Thanks Bridget. Hopefully we’ll get more sightings of this beautiful moth.

Valerie on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Reply

• Can’t tell you how excited I am that this moth still calls this area home! I will try to do some mothing in the Alton area next year to see if I can find one.

Don Scallen

Don Scallen on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:24 pm

2. Hi Don,

A little dated, I know, but for what it’s worth I saw one four or five years ago at G & G Greenhouses in Amaranth

Jeff Rollings on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Reply

• Thanks for this Jeff – hey, four or five years ago is recent! The luna lives! I hope others share their observations.

Don Scallen

Don Scallen on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Reply

3. We had one beautiful luna moth visit this morning, I have pictures also, 2 July 2011

chris Fullam from Richmond ontario near Tilsonburg on Jul 3, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Reply

• Hi Chris, where did you see the moth? And if you want to email me a shot I’ll post it on the web site,
      [email protected]
      Thanks!

Valerie on Jul 4, 2011 at 5:52 am | Reply

• Another encouraging sighting, adding to our understanding of where this lovely moth still exists.

thanks!

Don Scallen

Don Scallen on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Reply

4. I have not seen the moth, but Last year I saw the caterpillar in Buckhorn Ontario at my sister’s farm. The caterpillar is scary but the moth is beautiful.

Amanda from Buckhorn Ontario on Sep 11, 2013 at 10:30 am | Reply

5. Mr Don Scallen. This past Monday, June 29,2015, I was in Sturgeon Falls Ontario. While getting gas, I noticed a very beautiful Luna moth. I did get a picture of it, but was captivated by the fantastic color, size, and beauty of it. I had never seen a Luna Moth before, and was wishing I had my camera instead of my phone camera. But none the less, I have the memory and a fairly decent picture of this magnificent beauty.
    Luna Moth

Jennifer Bowman from Powassan, Ontario on Jul 3, 2015 at 1:03 am | Reply

• A siting of this extraordinary moth is always exciting Jennifer. Especially so now, because they seem to be much rarer (in some parts of the province) than they once were. Great to hear they still fly in Sturgeon Falls!

Don Scallen on Jul 6, 2015 at 7:38 pm | Reply

6. We’ve had two Luna Moths visit our home in Branson, Missouri this week (April 5th and 7th, 2016) They both selected the brick of the house to cling to, in the back, where the night light is located. Poor things, attracted by false lighting. One was over 5 inches wide (wings spread) the other over 6 inches. They are so beautiful, one of our Lord’s finest creations, I believe.

Billy Arr from Branson, Missouri on Apr 8, 2016 at 11:48 am | Reply

7. Hello Billy,
    Must admit I’m jealous – we had snow last night in Ontario and our Luna Moths won’t be flying before late May! Yes the Luna Moths are truly wonderful but like so many other creatures they have suffered from our activities. Artificial lighting almost certainly plays havoc with their breeding cycles.
    On the other hand, their presence in your neighborhood tells me that you must have lots of native trees for their caterpillars to feed on and that is all to the good.
    Hope your spring is filled with the wonders of nature!

Don Scallen

Don Scallen on Apr 11, 2016 at 1:45 pm | Reply

8. Dear In The Hills, I live in a forested location, just South of Guelph. My property is in mixed woodland, Evergreen, Firs, Birch, Walnut, Beech, Oaks and of course Maple with a large spring fed pond. I am enjoying the Fire Fly displays, I have Northern River Otter, usually Muskrat but they are no where to be seen, an Osprey who visits to feed on Cat Fish, Snapping Turtles arrived today to lay a billion eggs in my gardens, not to mention the Deer who eat everything else. But I wouldn’t change a thing! Other than the darn mosquitoes!

I have a beautiful Luna Moth resting on the Kitchen window sill. It looks healthy.
    I know that this is 2017, and your last post was years ago… but I was so excited to see it, and photograph it!!
    Second photo is about an hour later and lower spots are showing.
    Susie

Luna Moth

Luna Moth

Susie from Nassagaweya, Ontario L0P 1J0 on Jun 14, 2017 at 7:19 pm | Reply

• Hi Susie,

Great photos of a rare moth! This is a male and by its pristine condition it looks like it has just emerged from its cocoon. A male will wait until dusk and then take flight in the hopes of finding a female. She lures him with her pheromones that drift on the nighttime breezes.
      So glad to know lunas are still found in your area. Last year was momentous for me when, near Speyside in Halton Region, I saw my first wild luna moth since I was a child. (A span of a mere 50 years or so!) So they are still around in small numbers at least.
      Luna moths and most other “giant silkworm moths” are active only for a brief window in late spring or early summer. I hope you are graced with sightings of these beautiful creatures in future years.

Don Scallen