It is excellent as an hors d’œuvre with vegetable crudités or crackers.
The pumpkin gives otherwise ordinary hummus a smoother texture and richer flavour. It is excellent as an hors d’œuvre with vegetable crudités or crackers, or used as a hearty sandwich spread. And, yes, a pumpkin is a squash.
- 15 oz (450 ml) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin purée
- 2 to 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- Juice of one lemon or two limes
- In food processor, add all ingredients except water.
- Purée and add water as needed to make light and smooth.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
- Keeps well for 3 days.