Asparagus Hot Dog
Honour this “first taste of spring” by making a delicious asparagus hotdog.
I know a certain avid asparagus grower who has found a unique way to enjoy homegrown asparagus with his daughter.
Asparagus Hot Dog
- 10 spears asparagus, washed and tough ends removed
- 2 pita breads
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Steam asparagus.
- Place 5 asparagus spears on each pita round.
- Top with ½ cup cheese.
- Roll up and eat like a hot dog.
Freezing is one way to enjoy local asparagus well beyond its all-too-short growing season. Most sources recommend blanching prior to freezing, but I have always found it makes the asparagus mushy. Neil Morris, gardener and cook extraordinaire, swears by this method: Simply cut asparagus spears into one-inch lengths. Spread them out on a tray and place in the freezer. Once frozen, put the pieces in freezer bags and use them all year round in soups, stir-fries, omelettes and more.
The Ontario Asparagus Growers’ Marketing Board recommends the following methods for cooking asparagus:
- Steaming: Place in a covered steamer over boiling water for 4–8 minutes.
- Stir frying: Cut into 1-inch pieces and sauté in hot oil in a wok or frying pan for 5–7 minutes.
- Simmering: Add enough water to saucepan to just cover asparagus, plus 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender-crisp, 2–4 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Oven roasting: Drizzle with oil and salt and roast at 450ºF for 8–10 minutes.
- Grilling: Brush with oil and place directly over a medium grill for 8–10 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking.
The World According to AsparagusMay 18, 2012 | | Back Issues
Jennifer Clark welcomes the first tender spears of spring with a gardener’s guide to growing and cooking our favourite vegetable.
Asparagus and Goat Cheese OmeletteMay 17, 2011 | | Food
Curried Asparagus SoupMay 16, 2012 | | Food
Before cooking, wash it very well. I’ve had a few asparagus meals undermined by grittiness. Remove the tough end of each spear by snapping it off at the lowest point it will snap cleanly.
What’s Cookin’s Famous Asparagus LasagnaMay 16, 2012 | | Recipes
In a typical year in southern Ontario, asparagus spears will begin poking through the soil in early May. The season usually lasts about six weeks.