Local Heroes 2012
Our annual salute to the extraordinary people who make our community a better place to live.
Welcome to our fifth anniversary edition of Local Heroes.
After profiling so many extraordinary people over the years one might expect the cupboard to be bare, but in fact we’ve only scratched the surface when it comes to the inspiring among us. This year saw a longer list of deserving candidates than ever before. As agonizing as it was, we had to whittle it down to just ten sparkling examples. Their contributions are as diverse as the landscape that surrounds us. Their ultimate aim, however, is common: to enrich this place we call home. Each of these champions achieves that goal with distinction.
- Bob Shirley is a community service addict
- Neil Orford performs magic in the classroom
- Robin Berger is a breastfeeding crusader
- David Lamble is a master bird bander
- Cody Gillies the ultra trailblazer
- Gloria Campbell and Janice Gooding who demonstrate so much commitment to community
- Wayne Baguley a real estate agent in rock star’s clothing
- Ray St-Amour and Marianne Breadner, youth group leaders extraordinaire