A vegetarian dish adapted from Eat Local Caledon and Foodland Ontario.
Moussaka is an aubergine (eggplant) or potato based dish popular in Balkan, Mediterranean and Greek cuisine. There are many variations – try the recipe below and then experiment to your tastes, add a comment below if you get one that works well.
6 to 8
- 2 small eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 in (1 cm) thick slices
- 4 medium Ontario Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 large Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle both sides of eggplant generously with salt and let stand on rack for 30 minutes; rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- Layer potatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes and onions in lightly greased 13 x 9 in. (3.5 L) baking dish; sprinkle with oregano and pepper.
- In saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk; until melted.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat until boiling and thickened.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese.
- Pour over vegetables; sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350ºF (180ºC) oven about 1 hour or until vegetables are tender and sauce is golden brown and bubbling.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into.