This is lovely with French fries and a green salad.
When I was young, you could get wiener schnitzel in any good restaurant in Germany, you still get it all over Austria, where it is served often with a cranberry sauce. I like it with French fries and a green salad.
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 4 veal cutlets, flattened well with the meat beater
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup butter, heated over medium until slightly brown
- Beat the egg in a soup dish and add the salt and pepper.
- Put the flour in another dish and do the same with the bread crumbs.
- Dip the meat in the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- When the oil is hot, let the cutlets slide in and fry them, turn them once or twice.
- They need to be golden brown.
- Remove the cutlets from the pan, set them on paper towel to remove excess oil, before you add the nicer fat: browned butter.
- To serve arrange on a platter and add the lemon wedges.
Stefan’s tip for wine: A light white wine, like a Riesling