The Yorkshire Pudding Takes Centre Stage
At Ray’s 3rd Generation Bistro Bakery in Alton, chef Jason Perkins strips Sunday dinner back to its Yorkshire pudding best.
Chef Jason Perkins of Ray’s 3rd Generation Bistro Bakery drew the inspiration for his Yorkshire Pudding stuffed with Braised Beef Short Ribs from a restaurant meal he enjoyed last year in Port Dover – a full prime rib dinner which, as often happens, left the Yorkshire pudding sidelined as too filling for an already big meal. “I thought it might be nice just on its own,” he recalls. “It might be all you need.”
He has made the light-as-air popovers the star. The rib meat (braised in the Black Oak nut brown ale, on tap there), mashed potatoes, sharp cheese, horseradish mayo and demi-glace are the supporting cast. The silver lining: all the steps can be done a day ahead.
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup eggs (about 8–9 eggs)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Braised short ribs, shredded
- Mashed potatoes (about 6 Yukon gold)
- 1 cup smoked cheddar, shredded
- Horseradish mayonnaise (50-50 prepared horsradish and mayonnaise)
- Reserved rib braising liquid or optional veal demi-glace
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- In a 12-muffin tray, fill each cup with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Place in the oven for 10–15 minutes, until piping hot.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, milk and eggs together with salt and pepper.
- Strain batter through a sieve to remove lumps.
- Fill each muffin cup with about 3 tbsp of batter or until it reaches the top. Put into oven for 10 minutes at 500ºF, then reduce to 350ºF for another 10–15 minutes.
- Puddings are done when they’ve puffed up to double (or more) their original volume. Set aside to cool.
- Change oven setting to 400°F.
- Make an opening in the top of each Yorkshire pudding.
- Insert about 1 tbsp of meat and 1 tbsp of mashed potatoes into each one and top with 1 tbsp of cheese.
- Put in the oven for 3–5 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Serve with horseradish mayonnaise and the reserved braising liquid or veal demi-glace.
Cooking with Jason Perkins of Ray’s 3rd Generation Bistro BakeryMar 20, 2017 | | Cooking with...
Jason drew the inspiration for today’s dish from a restaurant meal he enjoyed last year in Port Dover.
Braised Beef Short RibsMar 20, 2017 | | Main Dishes
Braised beef short ribs, horseradish mayonnaise and (optional) veal demi-glace.
Veal Demi-glaceMar 20, 2017 | | Sauces
A demi-glace is a long process, but worth it if you have the time!