Local Buys: Spring 2020
What we’re shopping for this spring in Headwaters.
Ode to Soy
Kim Kovach and her daughter, Charlie Ann, 11, founded their Mono Centre business HalfCut Candle Company as an environmentally sustainable alternative to artificially scented candles. The organic soy candles are poured into hand-cut and polished recycled wine bottles – another strong eco move. The clean-burning 5-inch-tall candles are cleverly named with a nod to their original boozy vessels: Chablis has a fresh linen scent. Bellini favours peach, banana and mango notes – you get the idea. Find them at 10 and 10 Garden Centre in Mono, Grand Valley’s 21 Main, Epiphany Apparel in Erin, or online. ($18, HalfCut Candle Company)
Stroke of Genius
At Stewart Paddles, the chief paddle maker is 11-year-old Cooper, fresh off a first-place win for woodworking at the Erin Fall Fair last year. Cooper and his dad, Chris Stewart, repair older paddles, offer blanks for DIY carvers, and create full-size and miniature paddles (great for cheese boards or door pulls) in red cedar, cherry and walnut. They’re also starting to craft bespoke paddles painted as décor objects perfect for a cottagey housewarming gift. ($75-$200, Stewart Paddles)
Wearable Equestrian Art
You may have seen well-known Mono horse photographer Ellen Cameron’s majestic images adorning gallery walls across Headwaters. But the heavy-lashed equine in her photograph titled “Mascara” has now been printed on a tony, 100-per-cent silk scarf. Made by French manufacturers Maison Malfroy for Collingwood’s Red Scarf Equestrian, the piece is part of the horsey shop’s spring 2020 collection. ($490, Red Scarf Equestrian)
- 10 and 10 Garden Centre, Hwy 10 at 10 Siderd, Mono. 647-229-9400. 10 and 10 Garden Centre on Facebook.
- 21 Main, 21 Main St S, Grand Valley. 519-928-5930. 21main.ca
- Epiphany Apparel, 60 Main St, Erin. 519-833-5007. shopepiphanyapparel.ca
- HalfCut Candle Company, Mono. [email protected]. HalfCut Candle Company on Etsy and Facebook.
- Red Scarf Equestrian, 75 Ontario St, Collingwood. 647-224-0990. redscarfequestrian.ca
- Stewart Paddles, Erin. [email protected] and @stewartpaddles on Instagram
How an Orangeville mom made homemade soaps and beauty oils her business.