Local Heroes 2016
Our annual salute to folks who make a difference in the hills.
“The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by.”
So wrote 19th-century professor Felix Adler. Our local heroes this year are all incandescent. Each has kindled a light in their own corner that spreads to blaze across the community. And you – yes, you – may also find yourself among those recognized here, for contributing a spark to make these hills a brighter place for all.
By Jeff Rollings, Tralee Pearce and Nicola Ross.
Photography by Pete Paterson.
- Donna Davies, historian with attitude
- Beth Hunt and David McCracken, fine food and laughter
- Tess Routliffe, comeback kid
- Phil Dewar, cookin’ up community
- Liz Armstrong, climate activist
- Barrie Shepley, high-performance brain
- Janet Horner, the doer
- Debra Moore, cancer warrior on horseback
- “YOU” and likely all of us, in one way or another – are heroes