Skip to content

Community

2010 Local Heroes: Joy Bell

Nov 23, 2010 | Bethany Lee | Back Issues | Local Heroes | Winter 2010

Click here to read the profiles of our other Local Heroes for 2010. Keep singing! By Jeff Rollings, Photography by Pete Paterson Joy Bell wants it known that she hates…

2010 Local Heroes: Michael McCreary

Nov 23, 2010 | Jeff Rollings | Local Heroes

Michael began developing his interest in performing at age eight, when he became a member of Theatre Orangeville’s Young Company.

An Old-Time Jamboree

Nov 20, 2010 | Julie Suzanne Pollock | Back Issues

“People used to come in from the farms on cutters for dances in the winter,” says Beth. “The kids would sleep on coats in the cloakroom. So not much has changed, really.”

Abbeyfield House: Hearth and Home

Nov 20, 2010 | Michele Green

It is no secret that the enjoyment of good food and good company creates lasting social and emotional benefits.

Our favourite picks for Winter 2010

Nov 20, 2010 | In The Hills | Back Issues | Departments | In Every Issue | Must Do | Winter 2010

A highly selective guide to the picks of the season.

Making Friends with Winter

Nov 20, 2010 | Bethany Lee | Back Issues | Departments | Headwaters Nest | In Every Issue | Winter 2010

It’s true that winter and I were once friends, a long time ago. But then, somehow, we drifted apart…

My Secret Life as a Poacher

Oct 29, 2010 | Christine Thomas | Blogs | Leisure | Red Squirrel Musings

Christine Thomas reveals her secret life as a poacher, “stealing” moments of joy from the country around her.

Home After Supper

Sep 13, 2010 | Online Editor | Back Issues

Evening meetings are just one of the demands that come with the job for local councillors, and there are plenty of others, but for most who take the plunge into public service, there are also rewards. Four former councillors reflect on the highs and lows of life in the council chambers – and after.

What Makes Heather Run?

Sep 13, 2010 | Julie Suzanne Pollock | Back Issues

Being a councilor can be a tough, time-devouring, often thankless job. So why would anyone want to do it? One neophyte candidate offers an answer.

Ontario Gothic

Sep 13, 2010 | Michele Green | Back Issues

A modest log cabin and a grand Victorian farmhouse merge history in Caledon, thanks to Helen and John Mason.

Our Favourite Picks for Autumn 2010

Sep 13, 2010 | In The Hills | Autumn 2010 | Back Issues | Departments | In Every Issue | Must Do

Our own highly selective “picks” of just some of the things that make life such a distinctive pleasure here in the hills.

Goodbye commuting. Hello flex time on the porch.

Sep 13, 2010 | Bethany Lee | Autumn 2010 | Back Issues | Departments | Headwaters Nest | In Every Issue

For a number of years, I donned my corporate attire, got in my car in the dark, slipped a thermal carafe of coffee into the holder, and headed south to the city for work. I didn’t mind the commute, I told myself. In fact I enjoyed it. It was time to think. Time alone. Time to decompress. Then along came baby.