Skip to content

Community

Free Range Pig

Sep 13, 2012 | Dan Needles | Fence Posts

I was hoeing the garden when Dillinger suddenly came around the henhouse, trotting along like he was on his way to the bank. He was sunburned and covered with dirt.

Our Favourite Picks for Autumn 2012

Sep 13, 2012 | In The Hills | Autumn 2012 | Back Issues | Departments | In Every Issue | Must Do

Our own highly selective “picks” of just some of the things that make life such a distinctive pleasure here in the hills.

The Perch

Sep 13, 2012 | Pam Purves | At Home in the Hills

It is fair to say their discovery of a woman in the neighbourhood who traps raccoons, fixes floods, cleans the house and ploughs the driveway was also a revelation in its own way.

Ladies’ night out … with shotguns

Sep 13, 2012 | Nicola Ross | Good Sport

I cracked the gun open and the empty shot popped out of the barrel in a small cloud of smoke.

The Slowest Runaway

Sep 13, 2012 | Bethany Lee | Autumn 2012 | Back Issues | Departments | Headwaters Nest | In Every Issue

“Don’t tell Dad! Don’t tell Bethany! Stop telling everybody in this world!”

Reading, writing and … roasted ribs?

Aug 17, 2012 | Liz Beatty | Back Issues

At Bolton’s St. Michael Secondary School, the hickory stick has been replaced with a baguette, and Chef Gallo is calling the tune.

That’s Entertainment: Miriam Streiman’s Country Kitchen

Aug 17, 2012 | Emily Worts | Back Issues

Miriam Streiman’s country kitchen is more than a place to eat, drink and be merry – it’s a culinary stage and she’s the leading lady.

This little van goes to market

Aug 17, 2012 | Cecily Ross | Back Issues

One of the biggest challenges facing the local food movement is distribution – or how to best get produce from the fields and farms to area restaurants and home kitchens.

Seriously?

Jul 9, 2012 | Christine Thomas | Blogs | Leisure | Red Squirrel Musings

I’m once again drawn into the false hope that maybe, just maybe, a plant will grow and produce bountiful proportions of vegetables.

Cody Gillies: End-to-end

Jun 19, 2012 | Tim Shuff | Back Issues

Cody Gillies aims to run the Bruce Trail in record time – and raise money for sick kids at Headwaters Health Care Centre!

Good Dog Gus!

Jun 19, 2012 | Monica Duncan | Back Issues

How Gus learned to stop biting people and love the new puppy.

A Life Cycle

Jun 19, 2012 | Dan Needles | Fence Posts

The men in your family remind me of a dog I once had. He was very good at letting you know what might happen.